Three words: Mini. Everything. Biscuits!!! And yes, before you even have to ask, they are truly everything. From the layers of butter and dough to the variety of flavors on top, you can pop these mini biscuits into your mouth for a seriously satisfying burst of flavor.
I love eating biscuits whenever I get the chance, but I don’t make them nearly enough. It wasn’t until culinary school when I realized how biscuits don’t actually that that long to make. If you want fresh biscuits on a Sunday morning, that is totally doable and you don’t even have to get up early to accomplish this.
Being a dough lover, I also love Everything Bagels. So what better than the taste of an Everything Bagel with the buttery, fluffy, and flaky goodness of a biscuit? And when they’re small, you can eat a lot without feeling too bad. I paired this recipe with Sweet Home Alabama, a romantic comedy I don’t think I’ll ever retire from my rotating rom-com flicks.
Sweet Home Alabama stars Reese Witherspoon as a New York socialite named Melanie who has to return home to Alabama to divorce the husband she’s been separated from for seven years. I combined Melanie’s old life in Alabama – represented with Southern biscuits – and new life in New York City – in the form of the seasoning on New York’s iconic bagel – together. What resulted was a savory biscuit that I plan on making at least every other weekend.
When it comes to indulging, you won’t regret a Reese Witherspoon romantic comedy and a plateful of Everything Biscuits (even better when they’re heart-shaped!).
Homemade Mini Everything Biscuits inspired by 'Sweet Home Alabama'
2½ cups all-purpose flour
2½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup + 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cubed
¾ cup buttermilk
1 large egg
1. Line a sheet tray with parchment paper.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. Add the cubed cold butter and mix with a paddle on low. The mixture will start to resemble coarse crumbs.
4. Add the buttermilk and egg and mix until just combined.
5. Remove the dough from the mixer onto a floured surface and gently knead, folding the sides onto one another to create layers.
6. Roll the dough out until it is ½ inch thick, and then using cookie cutters, cut out the as many biscuits as you want.
7. Place the biscuits on the sheet tray.
EVERYTHING SEASONING INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
2 tablespoons garlic flakes
2 tablespoons onion flakes
2 teaspoons salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
EVERYTHING SEASONING METHOD
1. Mix all of the ingredients together.
1. Heat the oven to 400°F.
2. Brush the lightly beaten egg over each biscuit.
3. Using your fingertips, grab the Everything Seasoning and generously sprinkle over the biscuits until the tops are covered.
4. Bake the biscuits for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown. Serve with butter and devour them.
© A Dash of Cinema
P.S. Another Reese Witherspoon romantic comedy and recipe (with chocolate!) if you’re having a marathon!