Summer Reading List 2012

Blood, Bones, and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton | Best Food Writing 2011 by Holly Hughes | An Economist Gets Lunch: New Rules for Everyday Foodies by Tyler Cowen | The Film That Changed My Life by Robert K. Elder

Summer is the perfect time to finally read all those books you’ve been neglecting during the year. I currently have a list of 11 books that I am hoping to get through in the next few months. I’m sure I will find more books as the weeks go on, but my goal this season is to finish my list – no excuses! These are the first four books on my “To Read” list. What are you reading this summer?

About these ads

84 Comments

1. LOVE the concept of “The Film that Changed My Life” — I took a cinema class in college, and we read several interviews that discussed that very topic. Very interesting!

• That sounds like a great class! I think it would be difficult for me to choose which film has changed my life…

2. nice list like it….

3. iamlenise

/  May 17, 2012

This is an interesting list! Mine is a little on the dull side..finished one about the internet, and another on the evolution of language! Have a great summer, hope you finish your list :)

• Thank you! Your reading list sounds interesting – I enjoy reading about how things evolve and why they are the way they are today. :)

4. Fun! I’d definitely like to read An Economist Gets Lunch. I also wanna read An Everlasting Meal and Smart Chefs Stay Slim. :) On the non-food side, The Letters of Noël Coward (the blog Letters of Note just had a classic one from him to Marlene Dietrich that’s made me want to read the rest: On the subject of her tempestuous on-off relationship with Yul Brynner, Coward writes to Dietrich, “Snap out of it, girl!”).

5. “Infinite Jest” by David Foster Wallace will my primary book for the summer, but I’m also dying to read Augusten Burrough’s new book “This is How”. “The Film that Changed my Life” sounds like a great compilation-I’ll have to look into that one.

6. Great recommendations!

7. I’m currently reading the George Martin series, The Game of Thrones books. I loved the first season of the show, so of course I have to read the books. I’m also going to tackle my own stack of books to read this summer, including American Dervish and The Flame Alphabet. I’m intrigued by The Film That Changed My Life, thanks for posting it!

• Absolutely! Thank you for sharing your list! I have heard so many good things about The Game of Thrones…this summer may also be used to catch up on some shows.

8. “Best Food Writing 2011″ is right up my alley. As a food blogger myself, I’m always interested in those that have a way with sharing their thoughts on it in a unique way.

• Absolutely – sometimes it’s difficult to express a certain feeling (especially about food) through words. It’s always good to learn from the best!

9. I’m only just emerging from the clutches of academic reading, and I cannot WAIT for the freedom about to ensue…reading for pleasure and for whimsy is absolute heaven.

I’m starting by re-reading some Zadie Smith favourites, then heading on to some of the Orange/Booker prizewinners. I’m learning Dutch, and so I’ll probably tackle an Abdul Kader classic, too.

10. I’m currently on the third book of Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire. I was wary about reading them because I hadn’t heard one bad thing about the series, but they are living up to the hype. I’ve been recommending them to everyone! I plan on reading volume one of Mark Twain’s autobiography next. :)

• That’s awesome – I really want to read Mark Twain’s autobiography, too!

• The copy I bought on Amazon used to belong to a library and still has the stickers! It looks like I stole it haha.

11. Great blog!
    There are LOADS of books on my ‘to read’ list. I’m reading one of the man booker prize finalists for 2011 at the moment (The Sisters Brothers) so I’ll probably move on to another one after that.

Have you read ‘The Cookbook Collector’? It’s another for my ‘to read’ list, but it seems like the sort of thing you might like, based on this blog post. :-)

• Wow that sounds great! I’ll definitely check it out – thank you for the recommendation! :)

12. Perhaps I’ll join? :)
    Thanks for the list
    Katie

13. I may have to see if The Film that Changed My Life is available for Nook. I studied film and generally enjoy a great film and a great book. I do now Blood Bones and Butter are on my wish list as it was a Huffington Book Club selection.

14. Being me, I’ll read a lot of horror/sci-fi/fantasy, plus some thriller, and definitely plenty of Japanese graphic novels. Oh, and since I want to get serious on my studies, probably some books about the Holocaust.

15. I have the Game of Thrones on my nightstand, but am secretly reading Shades of Grey. Sigh…

16. We’ll have a hard time choosing which one to read first…they all look fantastic :)
    xx ~ http://www.tresorsdeluxe.wordpress.com

17. Definitely! Those books sound great. Your reading list sounds interesting. Thank you for sharing your list!

18. I might take a look at the film book. It’s always interesting to see what inspires successful people

19. Thank You for sharing your list. I am reading Aleph by Paulo Coelho.

20. It’s been awhile since I read a really really good book. You know the kind that grips you on the first sentence that you have to stay up all night to get to the end of

• Seriously – I am always on the hunt for great books. Sometimes I go through the first page of several books just to find one that will hook me.

• That is me too….I usually find a quite spot on the floor in the used book store….normally the clearance isle….grab a stack of books and read the first page of each. If it grabs me and is $2 or less then I am in heaven

21. Tripleexl

/  May 17, 2012

Thank you for sharing your list, it’s given me the push I needed. I’m going away to make my list.

22. thanks for the ideas…going to read about “an economist gets lunch…” for sure. sounds like a good summary of what i’ve been feeling for a while…

23. I just have to finish reading all the Game of Thrones books. Then I can finally move on to Hunger Games.

• Loved The Hunger Games (maybe even more than the movie) – it’s such a quick and addicting read

24. I’m now on A Feast for Crows (fourth book of A Song Of Ice And Fire a.k.a. Game of Thrones). Yes, still living in Westeros but jumps to another world of GRRM sometimes by reading his other book ” Fevre Dream.

Your list seems interesting, by the way.

25. joiedevivre74

/  May 17, 2012

Reblogged this on This beautiful life and commented:
    This is not my reading list but wanted to share to get inspired to make mine. What’s on your reading list?

26. joiedevivre74

/  May 17, 2012

Reblogged this on This beautiful life.

27. joiedevivre74

/  May 17, 2012

Reblogged this on This beautiful life.

28. joiedevivre74

/  May 17, 2012

Reblogged this on This beautiful life.

29. joiedevivre74

/  May 17, 2012

Reblogged this on This beautiful life.

30. joiedevivre74

/  May 17, 2012

Reblogged this on This beautiful life.

31. Right now I am into political stuff and just read a fascinating book about the freshman class of representatives from 2010 called Do Not Ask What Good We Do by Robert Draper. Really eye opening about the systemic malfunctions.

32. Tiffany

/  May 17, 2012

It will be interesting to see which classic films are mentioned in the film book. I’m expecting references to Hitchcock..

33. This certainly reminds me to get back on board to getting through my own reading list!

34. zakpegg

/  May 17, 2012

Cool, thanks a lot.

35. lijiujiu

/  May 18, 2012

Hi, I like reading too.
    But I haven’t had my Summer Reading List , thanks for your recommend…

36. Sarah D.

/  May 18, 2012

I’ve been reading classics that I never got around to before. I got about halfway through “Swiss Family Robinson” before deciding that nothing was going to change and I didn’t have to finish it, but I’m glad I now know what it’s like. Finished “Treasure Island” the other night — fun, good, old-fashioned straight-ahead adventure/pirate story. I’ve just started “Don Quixote” and am enjoying it, including the long but informative introduction, which was a lot of help. Nice topic, thanks!

37. I have Best Food Writing 2011 on my Kindle and keep forgetting to read it. Thanks for the reminder! I’m also looking forward to Jenny Lawson’s Let’s Pretend This Never Happened. Happy reading!

38. annlivingston

/  May 18, 2012

I really loved your post, I am always looking for new reads that are entertaining. I am a huge Oscar Wilde fan. I’d love to see you around my site sometime. All the best.

39. elfinkate

/  May 18, 2012

I’ll be reading lots, but my four top pics: Skag Boys (Irvine Welsh), The Bell (IrisMurdoch), The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection (Alexander McCall Smith) and She Came to Stay (Simone de Beauvoir)

Can’t bloody wait.

40. Hi Lauren! I found your blog on Freshly Pressed and I love the concept! Very fun and fresh. I’ve set myself a reading challenge for the year too – thanks for the ideas :-)

41. No novels???If you do not mind,I would to add A Vintage Affair which is a bit chick-lit.

42. No novels???If you allow me,I would like to add A Vintage Affair which is a bit chick-lit,but generally beautiful.

43. It is funny that I have just written a post about my summer reading list, and on the verge on finishing the first book, which is amazing: Cry, the beloved country by Alan Paton.

44. Your Summer reading list made me smile as two of the books are on my own list, and one of the books ‘Best Food Writing 2011′ I have just finished (btw it was great, and most informative). I bought it at a wonderful bookshop in San Francisco’s Noe Valley when I was there to visit my daughter last month. The bookshop is called ‘Omnivore’ and if you like books about food, recipe books, food writing etc, this is the shop for you! I had to restrain myself as having flown in from Beijing my luggage weight allowance was a serious consideration. Apart from food/cooking books, my ‘must read this summer’ list includes the new Hilary Mantel ‘Bring Up the Bodies’ which is the sequel to ‘Wolf Hall’; ‘The Soldier’s Wife’ by Joanna Trollope, and ‘Mrs Robinson’s Disgrace: the private diaries of a Victorian lady’ by Kate Summerskill. In addition to those, I will try to keep abreast of all fiction written in China (translated into English) and other books about life in China – I list these on the books page of my blog:

• These all sound great! I’ll be sure to check them (and your blog) out. Thank you for the recommendations!

45. Best Food Writing looks like an interesting book, especially since I love to eat and cook! Last summer I read a fantastic novel called The Life of Pi, which was really unique and well written! Nice post and I hope you have a summer filled with good reads as well :)

46. chloealysse

/  May 22, 2012

I need to make my summer book list – i’ll definitely check out The Film That Changed My Life!

47. The Film That Changed My Life just made my “summer reading list”, thank you for sharing,
    Artphalt (http://artphalt.wordpress.com)

48. I’ll definitely pick one of these up for my hols. Can I also recommend ‘The Other Hand’ just read it, such a good book!

49. Jacob

/  June 13, 2012

My reading list for the summer:
    “The art of happiness” by His Holiness the Dalai Lama